Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Frozen persimmon sorbet

Have you been struck by the dreaded winter lurgy yet? It has cut a swathe through our small household in the last week and I don't think it's done with us yet. I lost my voice over the weekend, then lost my hearing as soon as it came back. Worst of all, I've lost my sense of taste - unless it's chocolate or chilli, I've been reduced to eating for texture only. This is profoundly depressing.

I'm hoping that my current high levels of persimmon consumption will speed my recovery. Persimmons are high in vitamin C and look extremely cheerful in the kitchen. Oranges are not the only fruit at this time of year, after all.


This week's Three Ways With... column is devoted to the not-so-humble persimmon, which I have been consuming in huge quantities lately (so imagine how much sicker I could have been!) The following recipe for frozen persimmon sorbet will be extremely soothing if you're unwell, but you don't have to be poorly to enjoy it. 

Frozen persimmon sorbet
I was extremely sceptical when I read about this recipe - and I did have to experiment with it a bit to make it work - but it's a nice bit of fun to try (with minimal effort required). All you need to do is freeze as many persimmons as you have diners for a minimum of three hours. At least 45 minutes before serving, remove the persimmons from the freezer. Slice off the tops and let the fruit sit at room temperature. After 45 minutes they will be icy cold, but soft enough to spoon out the frosty flesh. For an extra treat, pass around a bowl of whipped cream.

If this sounds like too much hassle, be reliably informed that you can freeze peeled, sliced persimmons and whiz them up in smoothies. And if you have a dehydrator, dried persimmon slices are absolute heaven (thanks Ann for the lovely specimens below).


9 comments:

  1. Hope your feeling much better, to lose your voice and hearing with the lurgy is not good. I have to admit, i am not a fan of persimmon, but this does intrigue me and I would def. give it go - frozen and dehydrated.

    By the way, what other suggestions do you have for schichimi tograshi - i am looking for ideas and you seem to be in the know how - google and my cookbooks are not helping me, so I am hoping you will, Thank you in advance Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - perhaps some togarashi shichimi would cure what is ailing me! Here's a recipe that uses chicken - maybe you could substitute tofu? http://kitchen-maid.blogspot.co.nz/2012/08/the-togarashi-affair.html

      Delete
  2. Lucy, this sounds wonderful! I love persimmons. Unfortunately, I'm in the other hemisphere, so I'll have to wait a while for persimmons. I hope you get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are the persimmons dehydrated as they are or does your friend dip them in any solution first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathie, I'm not sure, I'll find out and come back to you!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I'm currently obssessed with my dehydrator... feijoa chips are fantastic. I just dry the slices as they are.

      Delete
  4. Strange "water hack" burns 2lbs overnight

    More than 160 thousand women and men are hacking their diet with a simple and SECRET "liquids hack" to burn 2 lbs each night as they sleep.

    It is very easy and works every time.

    This is how to do it yourself:

    1) Go get a drinking glass and fill it with water half full

    2) Now do this crazy HACK

    you'll become 2 lbs lighter as soon as tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...