Thursday, March 13, 2014

Treat me: Chocolate potato cake

I've never understood the fuss about St Patrick's Day. I'm all for a knees-up, but Guinness-supping and River-dancing leaves me cold (especially when it's done by people who are about as Irish as I am). However, I'll take any excuse to make a cake and this one - which contains potato and a good slug of Irish cream liqueur - fits the bill nicely.

St Patrick's Day Chocolate Potato Cake With Irish Cream Frosting - Gluten-Free Photo And Recipe Credit: Lucy Corry/The Kitchenmaid

Chocolate Potato Cake With Irish Cream Icing
This is the sort of cake that Mrs Doyle would go into rhapsodies about. It's light, luscious and gluten-free - and no one will believe you when you tell them it's got potato in it. Give it a light dusting of icing sugar before serving or you can really push the boat out and smother it in Irish liqueur-laced cream cheese icing. If time is short, just make yourself a bowl of the icing and lie on the sofa, channelling Father Jack.

200g unsalted butter, softened
200g caster sugar
1 tsp whiskey (or vanilla extract)
4 eggs, at room temperature
120g ground almonds
30g cocoa, sifted
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
200g mashed potato (1 large potato, approximately)

Irish Cream Icing
150g cream cheese, at room temperature
50g butter, at room temperature
60ml Bailey's Irish Cream
4 Tbsp icing sugar

Heat the oven to 175C and grease and line a 23cm ring tin.
Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, then beat in the vanilla. Add the eggs, one at a time, while continuing to beat. Add a spoonful of the ground almonds along with each egg - this will help prevent curdling. When all the eggs have been added, fold through the remaining ground almonds, cocoa, baking powder and mashed potato until combined.
Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 45-50 minutes, until a skewer comes out cleanly. Leave in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out to a rack to cool.

To make the Irish Cream icing, put the cream cheese, butter, Irish cream and icing sugar in a small bowl (or in the mini bowl of a food processor) and beat or whizz until smooth. Dollop generously on the cold cake.

Have a great weekend, everyone. I'll leave you with this classic taste of Father Ted...

)

14 comments:

  1. Maybe I should make this for the Irish one here who doesn't celebrate the day and is bewildered at all the fuss. Looks rather decadent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you should, Lesley! It's not that decadent without the icing (well, that's what I keep telling myself...)

      Delete
  2. gowan gowan gowan gowan.... I read the title of this post as Chocolate Patio Cake... which I think is something very different... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I want to make a chocolate patio cake - whatever that is. Something solid enough to slice into tiles?

      Delete
  3. This looks and sounds delicious. I'm seriously considering changing my weekend baking plans now but if I don't, I've got to try this at some point so I'm going to have to bake it out of season. Not that it will bother me to do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura, I hope you like it. I think it qualifies as a trans-seasonal cake, appropriate for any occasion!

      Delete
  4. sounds like a brilliant cake - I want a slice and even more I want to bake the whole lot - looks so much my sort of thing - I have bookmarked a similar lemon cake but give me chocolate any day over lemon (by the way I made your haloumi and peach salad and loved it) Love Mrs Doyle and Fr Ted too - can never watch enough repeats of that show

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! So pleased you liked the salad too.

      Delete
  5. Lucy, sounds like a delicious cake! I don't observe the holiday, nor am I Irish, but I do make a mean Irish Brown Soda Bread! And Bailey's, well, who doesn't like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean! I hadn't had Baileys for years, but now there is a bottle in my pantry it is absolutely addictive (hic!).

      Delete
  6. I've never seen potato in a cake (well a proper cake, potato cakes are different)- Happy St Patricks Day Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. loved father ted :-) mashed potato in a cake is something i've never done before. it would have to be plain mashed potato - not mashed with butter and sour cream and all the rich doo-dads, wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plain mashed potato, to be sure, to be sure - because the rest of the cake has enough of those rich doo-dads in it and adding more might make for too much of a good thing!

      Delete
  8. Sounds delicious. You can never have too much potato or too much chocolate. x

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...