Monday, September 17, 2012

One-pot smoky fish and rice

In my next life I am going to eschew academia and pursue a trade. Specifically, I am going to be a dishwasher repairwoman. You will know me by my extremely high hourly rate, my inability to keep appointments and my total disregard for the chaos my laissez-faire attitude brings to other peoples' lives.
Our dishwasher has been on the blink for two weeks and the strain is beginning to show. The frustrating thing is that it still works, but a tiny catch in the door has broken and so we can't get it open without jamming a screwdriver in one side. This method is having grave repercussions on the structure of the door itself and so I am reluctant to continue with it. However I am also getting very tired of doing the dishes while I wait for Mr Unreliable Dishwasher Fixit Man to come back with the minute part needed to solve the problem.

One-Pan Smoked Fish And Rice

One-pot smoky fish and rice
This is hardly a recipe, but it is an extremely handy method of cooking dinner without making any dishes. I've only tried it with smoked fish so far, but I daresay you could give it a whirl with very thin fillets of fish as the heat from the rice should be enough to cook it through.

300g jasmine rice, well washed in cold running water
500ml cold water
1 lemon, washed and cut into slices
smoked fish of your choice - it's smoked trevally in the photo above, but smoked eel or hot smoked salmon are also good done this way

Put the washed rice and water in a large pot. Cover tightly and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and let simmer for 12 minutes. Turn the heat off, then quickly lift the lid and put the lemon slices on top of the rice, followed by the fish. Put the lid back on as quickly as possible and let the rice stand for 10 minutes.
While you're waiting, blanch some Chinese greens in boiling water and drain. Lift the fish out from the rice and onto a clean board. Fluff the rice up with a fork and divide between four bowls. Put the greens, fish and lemons on top. Dress with soy sauce or rice vinegar as you see fit.

What kitchen gadget would you miss the most if it suddenly went out of action? Do you know any good dishwasher repairers? Pin It

11 comments:

  1. I've just cooked supper and had a conversation about our still not working dishwasher! Every time I use it, it fuses all the lights. I could do with you in your next life role coming around to sort it out for me.

    I'm one of those people who use every pot and pan available to make a meal so something like this looks perfect. I wouldn't have thought to cook the fish and rice in the same pan. It looks great...amazing colours.

    Although I'm missing my dishwasher I would totally be lost without a colander. I use them to drain and wash vegetable and keep lettuce in the fridge once it's washed or steam things on top of a saucepan. A basic but really useful invention.

    Hope you find a good repair person soon..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect one pot cooking. Helps to beat the dishwasher blues. Hope you get it fixed soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I don't know - I want to keep everything. Especially my dishwasher, though, now you mention it.
    I love this dish - my kind of meal!
    Good luck - hope it gets fixed quickly. Maybe I should go and be extra nice to my one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I'd miss the dishwasher, I find washing and drying the dishes by hand relaxing, and I end up doing most nights, well mainly because I use so many damn dishes that they wont fit in the dishwasher!

    I don't know what I'd miss, probably my digital scales (accurate to .001 grams) or my stupidly large collection of thermometers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm all about the one pot meal! Even if my dishwasher is working. Hope it gets fixed soon, there is nothing worse than broken kitchen equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a one pot meal too (she says, as she contemplates washing the pots up from making spaghetti and meatballs, which used fry pan, le creuset & biggest saucepan..)
    I couldn't live without my microplane grater. Does the best lemon zest, and is excellent for garlic and ginger.
    Hope your dishwasher is fixed soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. the handle completely snapped off our dishwasher a year ago, we have this tiny little ledge thing that you have to grab (with dry hands, forget it if your hands are wet) and we have to pull with all our might. its ridiculous. i'm not calling a man because i know he'll tell me i need a whole door or something that will cost a gazzilion dollars ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. and you can use that skill anywhere in the world... think of the money you could make travelling the world repairing dishwashers... genius!... fabulous one pot meal there Lucy... love the colour of the fish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read somewhere that you can cook a whole salmon in the dishwasher. Just wrap it in foil, stick it on the top shelf, and run on hot. So no pots at all, but you do need a working dishwasher!

    I would be lost without my little clear glass lemon squeezer. It's not exactly a kitchen essential, but it just makes me happy to have it and use it pretty much every day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Lucy you do make me smile! I have been away from blog world and thus have missed your gorgeous posts. I know your pain regarding the dishwasher man - we have had the same saga with a plumber of late 'sigh'. Thank goodness you are such a whizz in the kitchen - good food always makes life so much nicer. Have a great weekend hon. Becks xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear....yes I think it would probably be this dishwasher for me, just so not a fan of the whole cleaning up after myself! What a great easy tasty supper....love this.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...